The summer holidays are here – hooray! My boys are now 7 and 10 and are becoming more independent by the day. Luckily, they still want to spend time with us so we are planning lots of family fun. The North East is packed full of great places for kids and a little research has left us with an enormous list of possible activities!
Here’s our top 10 (so far!):
- Take a trip to the beach. Newton Links, the south end of Beadnell Bay is a real gem. It is never busy and has the most amazing sand dunes for climbing up and rolling down! We’ll also be donning our wetsuits and going for a kayak in the sea and building plenty of sand castles.
- Visit a National Trust – whether we choose Wallington, Gibside, Souter Lighthouse, Cragside…they all have great family fun activities planned for the summer holidays.
- Take a trip into Newcastle – We’ll take our bikes and cycle along the Quayside and over the bridges – it’s a great circuit and off road so really safe. We’ll check out the new Playground project at the Baltic and then the kids can make their own pizzas at Gusto.
- Complete the summer Big Friendly Read 2016. Dare I admit this as a teacher, but I’m not one for doing much reading with my kids during the holidays unless they want to! (there, I’ve said it – hope I don’t get struck off!). However, this year my two have wholly embraced the reading challenge so who am I to stand in their way!
- Visit Haltwhistle outdoor pool – take a picnic and enjoy the sunshine (fingers crossed!).
- Go for a walk. If I say to my kids “We’re going for a walk” it’s always greeted by moans and groans. So I just don’t tell them now! They love walking along Hadrian’s Wall or scrambling around in Dilston woods.
- Go wild water swimming. Mr H does this every Sunday morning with his friend and absolutely loves it. I’m keen to get stuck in also so we will be donning our wetsuits again and hunting out some hidden gems.
- Make a sleepover den with them. Deck it out with fairy lights and duvets and bring them a ‘midnight’ (well, late-ish) feast. It doesn’t get more fun than that when you’re a kid!
- Cook together. Well, I had to include this! Pizza making always goes down a treat in our house. If I’ve got time I’ll make my fab pizza dough but if I haven’t we’ll use wraps – really simple but effective!
- And finally, I’m going to fish out all the board games from the cupboard that rarely get played and have some good old fashioned family fun!
Happy Summer everyone!